Mediation is an excellent way of settling disputes in a non-judgemental, confidential and safe environment. The mediator remains impartial and unbiased. The mediator manages your dispute and your negotiations but you have the final say.
Mediation offers an alternative to legal action, which used to be the knee-jerk reaction when parties or spouses were in conflict. People are turning to mediation more and more for the following reasons:
- Mediation is cheaper than going to a lawyer.
- It is time and cost-effective.
- It is simple, flexible and informal.
- It is practical because the aim is to find a solution that works for all the parties concerned.
- It can mean that relationships might be saved.
- The parties set the parameters of the mediation and control the outcome, making them owners of the process.
- You come up with a solution that suits both of you, taking your personal circumstances into account.